14 Feb Cacao Slice – The Chocolate Alternative
Do you love chocolate?
Silly question! We know you do!
This recipe was developed to satiate your chocolate addiction, something to reach for instead of that sugar-laden chocolate bar you picked up at the supermarket.
Beware: This is still difficult to eat in moderation, but the guilt is lessened knowing that the ingredients will nourish you from within and leave your insulin levels in a regular state.
Cacao Health Ball
Where does chocolate come from? Meet CACAO – raw, untreated, unheated, unprocessed chocolate beans cracked from the pod. This recipe is chock-full (pun intended!) of this amazing superfood – enjoy!
- 130g almonds
- 75g cashews
- 250g pitted dried dates
- 65g desiccated coconut
- 25g organic cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
- 20g honey (agave nectar or maple syrup are vegan alternatives)
- 70g to 80g raw coconut oil
- Place nuts into food processor and grind briefly for 8 seconds on high speed. Set aside.
- Add dates, coconut, cocoa, salt and honey (or preferred sweetener) into mixer and chop for 30 seconds on high speed.
- Return nut meal to the bowl, adding the coconut oil, mix for 20 seconds on medium speed.
- Take a small handful of mixture and roll into a bite size ball & place on plate.
- Decorate each ball with nuts of dried fruit.
- Refrigerate until solid.
- Remove from the tin and break/slice into squares.
- Store refrigerated.
- Eat and smile!
We’d love to see your cacao ball creations! Make sure you tag us @essenceofliving in your posts on Instagram or Facebook.